On October 19th, 2023, our Community Resources Team and Criminal Investigations Division conducted an underage vape operation at multiple locations throughout the city. This operation resulted in seven clerks who were charged with selling nicotine related vape products to customers under the age of 21.
Clerks at the following locations sold to the underage buyers:
- S & M Tobacco and Vape at 1202 Berryville Avenue
- Smoke King Vapes at 726 Berryville Avenue
- Plume House Vape Company at 14 South Loudoun Street
- Tobacco Hut Vape and Cigar at 1849 South Pleasant Valley Road
- Smoker's Den at 115 Weems Lane
- Tobacco Hut and Vape at 2200 Valley Avenue
- Smoke Up Vape at 2231 Valley Avenue
The clerks were each charged with violating Virginia Code Section 18.2-371.2, which prohibits the purchase, possession, and sale of tobacco products, nicotine vapor products, alternative nicotine products, and hemp products intended for smoking to persons under 21 years of age. A violation of this code section is punishable by a civil penalty.
Chief Behan would like to thank the community members who expressed their concerns and the leadership involved to make this a successful operation.