Emergency Communications Center (ECC) - Information for Seniors
What you need to know when dialing 9-1-1
- Tell exactly where you are, including the address or nearby buildings.
- What is the emergency?
- What is your name?
- What is your phone number? The dispatcher may need to call back if they have further questions.
- Any description of the person or vehicle involved.
- Answer all questions.
- Don't hang up until told to do so.
- Call if you are having a medical emergency. You are not bothering us. We are here to help you.
- Keep a list of your medical conditions, medications you take and how much, allergies, date of birth, and emergency contact and telephone number.
- AND ALWAYS, in an emergency - DIAL 911.
- If you accidentally call 911, don't hang up. Stay on the phone and tell the 9-1-1 dispatcher you accidentally dialed it and that you do not have an emergency.
Important numbers to have:
- Winchester Police Department 540-662-4131
- Frederick County Sheriff's Office 540-662-6162
- Virginia State Police 1-800-572-2260
- Poison Control 1-800-222-1222
- EMERGENCIES 911